Prognosis: Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM)
Outlook: Super Duper Hyper Positive
Chance of kicking it's rear: Oh, you better believe it. Consider this a warning little tumor.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring Catch Up!

This is a letter I wrote to Elder Jacob Bird, my younger brother, who is currently serving a full-time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I thought I would post it here, which is not something I normally would do. It's a good summary of the last few weeks. If bits and pieces are confusing, oh well. :) Jake and I usually write a lot less formally, but there is always a time and a place huh?

Thanks for hanging in there with us. My family loves all of you.



Hello! It's Monday! March 26th!

Crazy huh!? It's been 7 years since dad checked out. That's a crass way to put it. :) You have been such a stud dealing with all of it. I just want you to know how impressed I am with the young man you have become. Technically, I should say impressed with the man you have become. You graduated high school with a great transcript, got into BYU, are currently serving a honorable mission and you are dealing with a sick mom at home and YOU are teaching and changing so many lives around you. Your mission president thinks the world of you and so do France and I and the rest of your family. Grandma and Papa think you are awesome and the whole Bird family cannot wait to hear all about your mission when you get home this August. We are even going to have a get together where you talk about your mish and I am gonna make you perform the song you wrote (if I don't, Grandma Bird will!).

So lemme catch you up on the last few weeks!
Sam and I went to ORLANDO with the Coopers and went to Disneyworld. Her and I were talking on video chat and she asked me if I wanted to go thinking that I would say no. Well I didn't, and less than a week later he and I were on a plane to Florida. Sammy had a flu and had major diarrhea the WHOLE time and I had a sinus infection, but we made it. He threw up on me three times during the flight and COVERED me. HA! He also had diarrhea'd on me on It's a Small World. Yuck! He loved Pirates of the Caribbean tho! I'll send you some pics!

So I got to spend my Birthday (I'm 27!) with Jen and Todd in Savannah and then we drove up to Charleston to sight see for a few days. Sammy is a little traveler.

Brent was released as Bishop yesterday. He will be missed, what more can I say. He looks forward to serving with the young men of the Stake in a new calling. Bishop Todd Rogers has a nice ring to it huh? :)

Mom has been doing so great this last month and enjoyed having grandma and papa take care of her so I could have a break. Mom is a lot of work these days. It's not easy, but I love her and would do anything for her, we all would and we have had so many helping hands along the way from our home ward, from family and from our Mountain Home ward that I have simply lost count. Service is much easier to give than receive huh? It takes a lot of humility to ask for help, something that I have had to learn. We have needed the help and still do. We have so many people to thank.

We ended up in the ER yesterday, Mom was pretty dehydrated. Paula and Kennon stopped by and Kennon helped France give mom a Priesthood blessing. Heavenly Father wanted her to know that he is asking her to endure a little longer, that she is still teaching all of us.

Jake, I was very worried yesterday. I nearly called the mission president to put him on alert. I hesitated and it was the right thing to do. She is home with us today, she doesn't remember a thing from yesterday. She's not remembering much lately. She is also not eating or drinking very well either. These are not good signs. Please continue to work hard and pray hard. Elder Bird, you teach the plan of Salvation everyday, but you are also living it. YOU live it every moment. I don't know what the next week will bring. I don't know if this weekend was just a hiccup in her health or a sign of things to come. I will keep the mission office informed if there is any change. I still think we have a little while. I will let you know. Will you write her a little Jakey love note to her? She loves hearing from you, we all do. We are here for you, we admire you, we absolutely love and adore you.

Talk to you soon.
Love, Lindsay

PS From Mom "Love you Gordon, keep up the good work."

It is a good work you're doing Jacob, the best.

9 comments:

AJ Candrian said...

I'll continue to keep you all in my prayers. You are a strong family... I hope you realize what an inspiration you are to everyone.

B said...

Goodness!! So much to deal with. You are my hero. Sending my prayers always. Call me if you need ANYTHING - I'm only a few hours away.

Brittany said...

I wish I would have read this before I talked to you today. I had no idea and to think you called to see how I was when you have so much to worry about already.

I realized today that when I talk to you and you give me brief updates on your mom that I always say "Your poor mom..." but really, I have a feeling it's harder on you sometimes than anyone. I wish I was close by to provide that service you so need. I am thinking of and praying for you guys always. I hope you know that.

Give your mom a big hug for me, please and tell France he has to give you one from me. :)

Kent Madsen said...

Sara forwarded this link to me. Your blog was beautifully scripted and placed to music it was touching to say the least. I was in Spokane two weeks ago and knocked on your mom’s door for a short visit to see how she was doing. It did not look like anyone was home. To my surprise Kelsey answered the door. He told me that your mom was in Mountain Home with you. He did not provide any details as to her condition and I did not press him. Please pass along to your mom my love for her and your entire family. The words that accompany this post say it all. We will all be OK because of the Gospel and because Jesus does live! Please place me on your e-mail list so I may know of your updates to you moms health. I love you all so much. You all are in my prayers, love Bro. Madsen
wkmadsen@msn.com

Christen said...

Lindsay, I don't know what else to say but that I am so sorry you are going through this. What a difficult time, but you are so strong and such an example of faith and hard work. I pray that you will blessed with comfort and the energy to continue to keep doing what you're doing -- taking care of everyone around you! Thank you for always sharing your testimony. We are thinking about you guys! xo

Camille said...

oh wow. I guess it's my fault that I'm crying at work now... I shouldn't deviate from my duties :) You guys are amazing and I love you all so much, especially Sheri-mom. You are all in my prayers!

Raquel said...

Sheri, you (and your family, especially Jake) are in our prayers. Love to you all! Thanks for keeping the blog!

Pamela Bailey said...

Thank you so much for the update. You are all in our prayers. I felt something of this nature was the case when Elder Bird was blessed to come home for a few days.

I know you are all being watched over by angels, on both sides of the veil. If it were all up to us, we would all all have perfect health, no challenges and would stay on earth forever, but that is not the purpose of it all. I loved Elder Eyring's talk about his mother and the Lord doing a little polishing.

Sherie, you are pretty shiny! He loves you very much and you have been strong and amazing since I have known you. Especially since Keith has been gone to the other side. You have amazing kids and have developed an incredible legacy until the end of time, and beyond.

Please know we love you very much and you are Hoconstantly in our thoughts and prayers. There is a great work to do on this side of Heaven and on the other side.
You will bloom where you are planted and continue to make a difference in people's lives wherever you are.

May you all feel the love of our Heavenly Father and of His Son, Jesus Christ and may you each feel His embrace every day.

xoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

I just found out this morning about Sheri passing. I couldn't get her off my mind and was going to email her this morning and then I received a call from Karen. Even though she is now relieved of her pain and suffering that doesn't make it any easier for any who know and love her.

What an example of courage and love she has been to all of us! I know that Heavenly Father will hold each of you in his arms and will be there for as long as you need him. Our prayers are with you as you travel this road of pain and loss. Love always. Pat (Ward) and family