Prognosis: Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM)
Outlook: Super Duper Hyper Positive
Chance of kicking it's rear: Oh, you better believe it. Consider this a warning little tumor.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Ah, life. :)

Hello everyone. I promised to update soon. Please count this as soon!

Since October's Gamma Knife procedure things have changed somewhat. The gamma was successful in removing a good portion of regrowth, which is amazing. The MRI looked great. Whew.

So here's some info.
Mom ends up in the ER for various things and after mimicking a stroke before Christmas we found her there yet again. Her amazing friend (and nurse!) Debbie had helped us out all day and was at the house and was able to get her into the car and get her to the ER quickly (with our amazing neighbors following). I stayed home. I couldn't do it that night. I stayed home with Sam and Kels and prayed. Kira ran over to help with Sam as I arranged a plane ticket for France to come on the next flight. We didn't know what would happen that night. It was humbling, frightening and truthfully, very scary.
Thankfully, she had not had a stroke but her brain had swollen from stress and caused the left side of her face to fall. They took an MRI on that December day and her tumor had NOT progressed. Whew.
During those weeks following gamma knife which happened to be Christmas break, my family was busy preparing for my mom to receive 24 hour care, at our house, in Idaho. Her doctors told us it was time to keep an eye on her around the clock. Our family had that confirmed to us all through the quite whisperings of the spirit. It was not a difficult decision to make and mom agreed, knowing it was the right thing to do.
She is here with us now. Enjoying Sammy's smiles and all the love we can give here. Family and friends are visiting constantly and we welcome the company. France and I even went on a date last week (so important we are finding out)! Our amazing ward here has jumped in and brought food and friendship. Her visiting teachers are stopping in as well as anyone else that gets wind of the new sister in the ward. I love that about my faith, wherever we go, we will always have a new huge ward family to welcome us in. We are never alone.

I just want you all to know, we have the business taken care of, we have Kelsey taken care of. Elder Bird in Arizona is up to date on mom and those two have been able to see each other on video chat. Heavenly Father truly is looking out for us. Mom is having a hard time adjusting to being away from the home she has lived in for so long. It seems as if our whole lives are wrapped up in Spokane and to ask her to walk away has been extremely challenging. Life is a funny thing.

I just want to take up some space on this blog to bear my testimony of life. We are here because we chose to come. We chose to come to this beautiful earth and experience joy and pain. To love, to hurt. To know true happiness. To have families. To learn to crawl, walk, run and then slow down again as our time comes to a close. This life is but a moment in the scheme of things. I know that for a fact. I lived before and I will live again. As much as I don't want to let mom go, my dad will be there to welcome her home. She may not be there at graduation for my brothers, she may not meet the women of their dreams and tell them how handsome they look and how lucky they are at the Temple on their wedding days and she may not be there to hold our babies when they come. But she will hand those babies to us. Grandma and grandpa get to teach them and be with them before, help prepare them for this incredible experience. They will be there for us, all around us.
I am full of gratitude to my Savior for helping me understand that life is to be lived and to fill our time here with good works and love and joy. Life is not to be wasted wandering in paths we know can be harmful to ourselves and others. Why waste such precious time? I know that Jesus is the Christ and through him I will live again. I will be with my family again. You too. :)

The doctors have not given up on her. She is still fighting. We know that her being alive today is a miracle already considering what she has been through. She is smiling and fighting. She is eating. She is balding! She is happy. She loves the little hugs and kisses she gets from Sam. She loves hearing letters from Jake, video chatting with her beautiful granddaughters in Georgia and her son in Spokane and spending time watching movies with Brett when he visits. We love her.

For those caretakers and family members out there who have gone through this or are currently enduring, our hearts go out to you, we think of you and pray for you too. Cancer is ugly, but life is beautiful isn't it? Mom's time on this earth may be coming to a close sooner than we thought, but boy has she lived and she's sticking around for while. Come visit. :)

John 14:27 aPeace I leave with you, my bpeace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be ctroubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

Love, Lindsay


PS, what timing for this message. I love the Mormon Messages. LOVE them.

21 comments:

Chris said...

Tell your Mom I love her! I already miss her encouraging parking lot comments. Between your mom and dad, I'm pretty sure no one in the church has done as much to let me know that regardless of how I look, that I am a creation of our Heavenly Father. They both have gotten me through some of the hardest times, and so give her a huge huge huge Beazer hug for me.

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

Mmmm. Amen. Your testimony and perspective fill me up. Hope your mom continues to do well and gets to enjoy Sammy for a long while yet. :)

Rachel said...

what a beautiful testimony linds - my heart is warm. much love and prayers for your mom and your family.

Kate said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony and Mom's story. Your Mom is amazing and you have such a strong family!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. We love you guys! You have such a strong testimony and a strong family.

B said...

Lindsay - when I grow up, I want to be like you. And you grew up to be just like your mom so it all works out.

I love you all so much. I can't help but fight back tears, but your testimony is strong and I want to thank you for showing us how to make it through life's most difficult trials.

We will never stop praying. Hope to see you soon.

Brittany said...

I just bawled reading that. I would blame it on being pregnant, but truthfully it's because I love you and your mom dearly and I know how hard this is for all of you. Please know that we are still remembering her in our prayers.

Always here for you!

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful testimony Lindsay! Its amazing how trials and hard times can strengthen us more than we ever thought possible. I see that in you. You are amazing and have such a beautiful outlook on life. I love your family and will keep you all in my prayers!

The Larsen Gang said...

Oh, Lindsay...what a testimony. So beautiful! I love your mom. She was and still is such an awesome example to me. I miss serving with her in the YW program. Give her a hug from me, and let her know I love her!!!

Hang in there, your family is amazing and you are surrounded by many who love you!!

Nici said...

Lindsay, Thank you for the update! Please give your mom my love! I have to tell you as I have watched you handle everything you have over the past few years, I am so proud of you! You are amazing! Love to you all

Kasia H. said...

Thank you Lindsay for the update and your beautiful testimony... It is hard not to cry but I know that the Lord is with you during this difficult time.
I want you to know that you are in our prayers. We are grateful to be part of your family over those last 10 years.
Love
The Haroldsen family

Kasia H. said...

To Sheri, from Alina.
I miss u so much. U r in my prayers every day. Yes I cry when I think about u. U are and always will be MY momma Sheri. :) I try to think and remember all the good times we had together. I still have all the birthday cards and just special cards from you. I will be 14 in April. I will miss you and I will always be thinking of you. I hope my tears of sadness will soon turn into tears of joy. :) I love u soooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!! Always remember me!
Love forever and ever,
Alina

Jenne said...

Lindsay,
What an amazing testimony. I am so glad to hear that your Mom is with you and your family during this difficult time. I want you to know how much I adore your Mom and what an impact she has had on my life. Every time I would babysit for your family she would tell me how beautiful and wonderful I was, and was always building me up. She made me want to be a better person. She made me want to be a good Mommy someday, just from her example. She was always one of my favorite people to be around because her contagious love for live just spilled out of her from every pore. Always smiling and laughing! Please tell her that I love her and that I am so thankful that she was a part of my life. Give her a hug for me and tell her how beautiful she is. I honestly feel forever changed because I knew her. I will continue to pray that the spirit will be with you and your family during this time.
Love, Jenne

Steven Tacy said...

Lindsay, what a beautiful testimony, one that I share with you. It is the one thing that brings comfort in this life, to know that it is not the end, that when we leave hear, we are taken to Him that gave us life, and are then accepted into Paradise, a place where we can rest from the sorrows of this life. I hate seeing what cancer has done to your mom. I've always looked up to her as a role model, the type of parent I want to be, and no matter how hard I try I know I'll never come close to being as amazing. My prayers are for comfort and piece for her and for you and your brothers and sister. Watching you grow up from a distance was sad. Not knowing my brilliant and loving step sister better is a regret, but knowing that I will have all time and eternity to do so is something to look forward to. Please give her my love and a big hug and thank you for sharing your testimony with us, love Steve

Rachel and Jason said...

Linds,
Beautifully written. You are beautiful! And so is your mother. Isn't it wonderful to know what we know? We pray for your family every day. We love you.

Josh and Megan said...

Lindsay,
I really love this post! You're testimony is so strong and that is sometimes the ONLY thing to lean on! I'm so sorry about all of this going on in your family's life! I wish life could be different too in such circumstances, but please always know that we LOVE you and adore you and your family!
WE LOVE YOU SHERI-MOM!!!

lyndsey said...

lindsay -- you probably don't remember me but we knew each other in the PR program and i've been blog stalking you for a while :) just read this update and i'm so sorry to hear about your mom -- but you have an amazing testimony and i'm so inspired by your optimistic outlook. thanks for helping me see the beauty of life in a new way. xo

The Moon's said...

wow, your family is obviously walking in the ways of the Lord, your testimonies are strengthening your love is getting stronger and more tight knit. I know that even through all those blessings your hearts are hurting from a variety of things and perspectives but its such a strength to me to see you all let it draw you closer to God and to each other, tat is what trials should do for us. Life can be so bittersweet and its so nice to know that for just as bitter as it can be, it will be equally if not more sweet. Keep fighting the good fight! Love to you all

Katie said...

Lindsay-
Just found your blog, glad to read up on your mom. She's been in our thoughts for a while. We are so glad she gets to spend her time around you and Sammy, you guys were all she ever talked about most days! We will all be thinking of you and praying for you!
Katie and the chemo gals at CCNW

Jan said...

I was talking the other day about true beauty and your dear mama's name came up.....she is a rare woman whose light has always reflected so brightly, no matter the trials and difficulties she may experience. Please give her our love and thank her for spending time with us last month. It was so much fun, and it was a delight to see her. I will always remember her sparkling eyes and her humor. She is lucky to have you and to be surrounded by such love. Our prayers wing their way to you.

mama cavanaugh said...

Please give Sheri our love. She is the sweetest, most sincerely generous person we know. We pray for her daily and put your families name in the temple regularly. Give her a hug from us.
We love her.
Colleen & Tom Cavanaugh